Horizons Travelblogue

Sailing vessel Horizons, a Tayana 37 cutter, has been cruising the West Coast of Mexico and Central America for the past 9 years. This is the ongoing story.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Leaving Puesta del Sol

12º 37.50' N. 087º 20.52' W. These are my coordinates in the marina at Puesta del Sol, Nicaragua. Tomorrow I leave the marina and head south east along the coast on the way to San Juan del Sur, not far from the border with Costa Rica. I’ve been slowly, but with increasing intensity, getting the boat ready for departure over the past couple of weeks after almost 7 months here. I’m also preparing myself mentally for becoming a cruiser again.

This is the longest period I’ve spent in a marina since I left Vancouver in August, 2001. But it was a very enjoyable luxury immediately following my almost two years at anchor in the same spot in Bahia del Sol, El Salvador. The hull has now been scraped of all marine growth. The propeller, likewise. The tarps have been removed from over the decks. The deck house and decks have been hosed and scrubbed. The fuel tank has been filled. The diesel jerry cans have been filled. I’ve just filled the main water tank, to be quickly topped up in the morning just before I leave. Additional water jerry cans have also been filled.

I installed a new zinc anode in the engine heat exchanger and then checked out the operation of the engine. All looks fine. The wind generator was scrubbed down and put back in operation. But there are still many things left to stow away in secure places inside the boat.

I have just checked out with the Port Captain and Immigration officer. As I plan to check out of the country in San Juan del Sur before then heading for Costa Rica, I have only obtained internal check-out documents for Nicaragua. I will get my international zarpe when I check out of San Juan del Sur.

So far, the weather looks good for the next several days. South west winds over the past five or six days, coupled with swells from the same direction, have delayed my departure a little. San Juan del Sur has a harbour which is open to the south west, which makes it very rolly and uncomfortable when the winds are from that direction. By the time I expect to get there, the winds and swells will have moved to another direction. I’ll update my progress as the opportunity arises.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bob:

Interesting reading the blog. Thanks for letting me know you were on the way....Fairwinds. Look forward to hearing about your safe arrival.

Love, Carol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter